Script'17 was all kinds of awesome: Great organization, line up, venue, catering, diverse and welcoming. It was a pleasure to talk to you all and LIVE code something useless before the party. Looking forward to see useless things from you all.
Video, slides & code
You can read the slides or check the result of the LIVE coding session.
Bare in mind that the code is "optimized" for writting time. I had a limited amount of time to write and explain it on stage.
For a faster version, you should check the JS1k 2107 invitation I did using the same techniques.
Script'17 is the first international web developement conference in Linz, Austria and it was success! Kudos to the main organizers, Stefan and Sebastian, and the staff who pulled this off. The whole conference was smooth, engaging and welcoming.
This animation shows some particles following two vectors fields: one at a very low resolution to give the general direction and a second one at a higher and time dependent resolution to bring everchanging twirls to the visuals.
The music uses the Web Audio API and a scriptProcessor to generate a hihat, crash cymbal and a melody using noise and a sawtooth oscillator ( a big word for
something % 1 ).
For the render loop, I abused the
onaudioprocess event handler of the scriptProcessor to render both the audio and the visuals. This was a shortcut to save time on stage and to show that this is possible. However this meands that the sounds might stutter if the visuals take too long to render.
To give an extra kick to the animation, the canvas is scaled based on a value from the audio buffer and the intensity of the crash cymbal.
The feedback to the talk and LIVE coding session has been incredible. THANK YOU!
If you enjoyed what you saw and would like to have a go yourself at doing useless things, and you should, get yourself a copy of The nature of code and visit JS1k.
Other recent experiments
There are many experiments and projects like CODING⬢ART AT SCRIPT'17 to discover other here.
- FRONTFEST MOSCOW It was an honour to be invited to Fronfest Moscow 2017 with the little family to give my first workshop; implementing a Twin-stick shooter using ES6 and Canvas, and to continue my CODE🎙ART series of talks + live coding aiming to inspire new web developer artists. on November 18th, 2017
- BREATHING EARTH Another take on Nadieh Bremer mesmerizing Breathing Earth visualisation, running at 60fps on a 2D Canvas without libraries or frameworks. on June 26th, 2017
- DWITTER SON1K DWITTER—SON1K, the winning entry of JS1k 2017 is a social AudioVisual LIVE coding environment for the Twitter generation. on February 27th, 2017
- MICRO NOVA Quite possibly the smallest WebGL demo effect. Micro Nova clocks under 512bytes and shows supernova-like blasting colors. on May 30th, 2012
- SUDOKU SOLVER Solves a Sudoku grid using magic, recursion, and 140bytes of brute force. on September 21st, 2011
- TERRA A voxel landscape rendered using a plasma in a valid 480bytes Atari bootsector. TERRA ranked #2 at Outline 2006 on June 6th, 2006
Don't be shy; get in touch by mail, twitter, github, linkedin or pouet if you have any questions, feedback, speaking, workshop or performance opportunity.